1. The basic coat rack is a freestanding pole made out of wood or metal, and contains hooks for hanging items like coats, scarves, and hats. A coat rack can also be a wall-mounted board or stretch of ornate metal with extending hooks.
2. It is documented that the coat hook and coat rack are indirectly responsible for the invention of the wire hanger. When a worker at a wire and novelty company arrived at work one morning to find no hook for his coat, he bent a piece of wire into two oblong hoops, twisting both ends at the center into a hook and hung up his coat.
3. Coat racks are a convenient, space-saving way to organize outerwear near the door. Most coat racks are so versatile that the hooks can be positioned to fit individual needs.
4. Perhaps your kids are not using the new coat rack because the hooks are too high - try relocating the hooks at kid level so they don't have to reach and stretch to hang a coat. Assign hooks according to height, and coat hanging will not seem like a chore.
5. Freestanding coat racks make use of wasted corner space. Shop for a coat rack according to available space and home decor. When space is limited, think of those few inches being wasted behind the door, and install a wall-mounted coat rack within reach of all family members.
6. Personalized coat and clothes racks are perfect for kids' rooms; some come with one or more shelves or cubbyhole storage. Whether custom colors on a freestanding rack, cutout names, or objects of interest on a wall-mounted coat rack, kids will appreciate how easy hanging up clothing can be.
7. Coat tree coat racks take up a little more space, but they offer more style and flair. Balance is important in a freestanding coat rack or coat tree, especially when children will be haphazardly tossing coats and jackets onto hooks.
8. Steel, wrought iron, brass, wood, and aluminum coat racks and coat trees offer a look for any decor. Make sure wood is of a superior quality, that metal has a protective coating, and that the construction is durable, beginning with a sturdy base.
9. Wall coat racks are usually constructed from classic wood, antique brass or contemporary iron/metal and can be both functional and ornate. Some wall coat racks come with one or more shelves for additional storage space.
10. For a unique decorating touch, decorate a brass, wrought iron, rattan or bent wood coat rack with vintage hats, bonnets, cloaks, scarves and shawls. What was once a simple solution to reducing clutter becomes a work of art and focal point that is unique to your love of historic memorabilia.